Monday, August 22, 2011

Don't Play With Pepper Spray

I usually carry a pepper spray in my handbag for personal safety, and since SweetTeen is growing up and she now carries a handbag whenever she goes out, hubby said that we should buy one for her as well.

There are various brands of pepper sprays at Ace Hardware and we bought this:



When we reached home I decided to test it to make sure that the aerosol pump was working, so I aimed it into the kitchen sink and pressed once....

BIG mistake....

Notice the word POWERFUL on the little cannister? That's what it is.

Immediately there was a burning sensation in my throat and a terrible tickle up my nose and I started sneezing non-stop. Thankfully I had the presence of mind to shut my eyes and run out of the kitchen so that the vapour wouldn't affect my eyes.

As the pungent smell spread around the kitchen and into the living room where hubby and the kids were watching tv, everyone started coughing and sneezing. We had to open the doors and turn on the fans full blast to clear the air in the house, and I pretty much ruined their tv time that evening...oops.




6 comments:

shiern said...

My friend (from CBN actually!) fooled around with it in school. They had to evacuate the whole classroom!

Pepper spray are considered weapons in the UK though so we aren't allowed to carry them. I have an attack alarm instead. Jonan saw it in my bag in church yesterday and I had to warn him not to trigger it. :P

Sunny-Cookie said...

Haha, that would frighten all the little kids in church!

Over here we need to register name and IC number before buying the spray.

xinyi said...

Huh?? Really?? Needa register??
I didn't needa register last time. But it's expired now..needa get a new 1 =I

Sunny-Cookie said...

A few years ago no need to register but now Ace Hardware requires the customers to register, don't know about other shops.

YuinTing said...

I never realized it's that powerful, and need to register before purchase.

Sunny-Cookie said...

Yes, it's just a mustard and pepper mixture but really effective in causing nasty irritation to the eyes, nose and throat.