Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Themed Birthday Party


Tinkerbell on the birthday girl's party dress

A close friend of mine celebrated her daughter's 6th birthday with a fairy themed party, so everything was matched to the Tinkerbell colours of lilac and apple green. She asked me to bake her some cupcakes with that theme in mind and a few weeks before the party we looked around the bakeries and cupcake kiosks for ideas.

I could make fondant flowers on a carpet of green icing grass but I just couldn't find a Tinkerbell figurine to place on the cupcake even though I looked in toy shops and searched the baking/party supplies shops all over. The closest I could find were the Princess ones, but princesses were not fairies even though I contemplated on adding little fondant wings to them.

So I decided to make my own. I found a picture of Tinkerbell on the internet, downsized, printed and then laminated it. Yes, we have a home laminating machine because my gadget-loving hubby thought that it might come in handy :)

I used the red velvet cake recipe minus the red colouring, since I don't think a large amount of red colouring is good for kids, even though it's food grade colouring. Here's how they turned out with the help of my daughter, SweetTeen, who patiently made the little flowers while I did the icing.





See Tinkerbell sitting on the cupcake?
I made her small because she's a tiny little 
fairy in the Peter Pan story.
60 cupcakes, all good to go!
Purple and green cutlery, but no purple
food although there was green honeydew!
The birthday girl enjoying herself, dancing to
the beat of Oppa Gangnam Style with her
friend. Her dad said that it became 'Fairy Style'!
It was a small cosy party with kids who came with their parents. Everyone had a good time and I was glad I could make a little girl happy on her birthday.

2 comments:

Lee said...

Hi, I was at Yuin Ting's blog about to check out noticed your callsign and busybody over.
Wow! Love your beautiful cupcakes, especially the colours. Can see you have a black belt in baking. Outstanding.
Love your stylish eloquence....
Cute pics of the girls doing the gangnam.

Have a nice day, and keep a song in your heart.
Best regards.
Lee.

Sunny-Cookie said...

Hi Uncle Lee,
Thanks for your very encouraging comments. Have a good weekend!