Friday, January 21, 2011

Attempted Broga Hill

Our church Youth Fellowship organised a hike up Broga Hill on Thursday morning. My kids could not understand why we had to go climb a hill in the dark just to watch the sun rise. CoolTeen says he watches the sun rise everyday at school during assembly, but hubby and I convinced them that this was going to be a great experience. 

At first I wasn't too interested in going either because I am not usually keen on outdoor activities, and besides, I had the perfect excuse for not taking part in any strenous activities for 3 months - doctor's orders.

But hey, I always enjoy a challenge.

So I find myself waking up at 4.45am and dragging my groggy hubby and kids out of bed. Left the house at 5.00 to fetch a friend's teenage sons and off we went for our little adventure.

Reached the foot of Broga Hill at 6.00 and discovered that lots of people have already arrived before us...cars were parked by the side of the road stretching to about a kilometer away. Started our climb at around 6.30am. It was pitch dark and I had to rely on my little torch to see only about a meter ahead of me.

The beginning stretch wasn't too bad, there is a pathway but it gets more and more challenging as we ascend higher and higher. By about 20 minutes, panting and dripping with sweat, I was starting to think that this wasn't such a good idea after all, but I couldn't turn back because there were just lots of people ahead and behind me, and everyone was single-mindedly trudging upwards.


Reached the base of the first steep incline at around 7.00 am...decided that I am going to follow doctor's orders and just rest there while the rest carried on...I could probably climb up but would not be able to come down after that. Most people were sliding down on their behinds if they couldn't find a foothold while descending. Hubby, PreTeen and a few others found a spot for us to have a seat while the rest continued up the slope. CoolTeen made it all the way to the 3rd peak and watched the sun rise and had a fun time sliding down the slopes...and I don't think he regretted waking up so early after all.

People queueing to climb up to the top
Made our way down at 8.00 am. Going downhill was quite taxing on my knees, a sign that I am not getting any younger! Went for breakfast at Semenyih town.

Curry hor-fun...yum!
Not sure if I will go climb Broga Hill again, but if I do I might just climb all the way up to the top..or maybe that's just wishful thinking! :D

 

No comments: