Tuesday, February 22, 2011

PreTeen Is Now SweetTeen

Miss PreTeen celebrated her 13th birthday yesterday, so now I am officially a mom of 2 teenage children...makes me sound kind of old, huh? And because PreTeen is no longer a pre-teen, I will now refer to her as SweetTeen. I was contemplating PrettyTeen but she commented that it had too many syllables and I suppose it just doesn't roll off the tongue as easily as SweetTeen.

Took Miss SweetTeen out for lunch on Sunday at Susan's Bistro, a cosy little Italian restaurant in Bandar Mahkota Cheras and later brought cupcakes to church for a simple celebration with her friends in the Youth Fellowship.


We also had the mandatory cake cutting ritual at home yesterday, the actual date of her birthday. She is so glad to finally be referred to as a teenager. I remember when I was around 12 or 13 that I had wanted to grow up quickly because it was always more fun to hang out with the older teenagers than with people my own age...and when I was in college I looked forward to joining the workforce. I suppose the grass always seems greener on the other side of the fence.


Tried my hand at making a piano cake

After adding the candles,
which coincidentally equals to 13 letters!












Now that I have lived for a little over 4 decades, I am happy where I am. If I could, would I change any part of how I have lived my life up to this point? Probably not, because the experiences that I have gone through, both good and bad, have helped to make me who I am today. I read this quote in a Christian devotional book that I use with my Bible reading - Life is not made by the dreams that you dream but by the choices that you make.

Speaking of various phases in life, during Chinese New Year as I visited relatives I made this amusing observation...the teenagers would talk about the latest electronic gadgets, people around my age (siblings and cousins) would talk about travel and places to visit as my mom and her generation of relatives exchanged news about cataract operations and other kinds of surgery to repair parts of their body!

2 comments:

YuinTing said...

Lovely cake! My daughter will be in cloud 9 if I do that for her. Unfortunately I do not know how to bake...but plan to start learning soon.

Oh ya, now its' time for your SweetTeen to start reading Chicken Soup for the Teenage Soul :-)

Sunny-Cookie said...

YuinTing,
I'm sure when you start baking you'll make much nicer cakes than mine because you're good with your hands :)
Oh yes, my son has that book...will get him to pass it on to his sister.

Vania,
What I've learnt is that people who are old usually don't FEEL old...that is, until they look in the mirror, haha.