Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Bird Nest Update

Update on the new nest in my garden:
The female bird has been sitting in the nest for the past 2 days after we took the first photo of the new nest!


It never fails to amaze me just how fast I can get information from the internet. I found this website that has photos of various species of birds found in Malaysia and compared the photo that hubby took of the mommy bird sitting in the nest.


At first I thought it was the Oriental Magpie Robin but upon closer inspection of the photo and seeing the bird fly away from the nest today (I must have frightened it when I opened my curtains to peep), I've matched it to the Yellow-vented Bulbul, a pretty black and white bird with a patch of yellow on the underside of its tail.
You can only see the head and tail when
mommy bird sits in her nest
Today, curiosity got the better of me and I managed to sneak up to the nest after making sure that the mommy bird was not anywhere nearby, and took a quick snapshot to check if there are any eggs in it.
The above photo was taken at around 5pm, and it looks like there weren't any eggs yet...but it's probably the angle of my camera because this is what hubby saw through his phone camera when he came back from work at around 6.30pm...before the mommy bird returned to the nest:
2 little eggs!!
I think the Bulbul is going to realise soon that it chose the wrong place to build the nest...how is a bird going to have any privacy to hatch her eggs with these 2 nosey human beings around?! Don't worry, hubby and I will just keep watch from a distance.


No comments: