Wednesday, July 1, 2009

A Street IN Our House

Remember I mentioned that my house has a lot of blue? My lunch-buddy MK, whose daughter remembers me as the aunty with the blue house, gave me something (so nice of her!) to complement the blueness...decorative blue wallpaper with a scene from downtown Manhattan which she bought from IKEA.

As we sat on the sofa, hubby and I couldn't decide on where to place it. We looked around our living room and then we had a [brilliant] idea! So hubby got out the measuring tape and we measured the wall...the height and width came VERY close to the measurements of the wallpaper...wow, a perfect fit!

Putting up the wallpaper wasn't as easy as we thought it would be (after hubby read the instructions) because the picture came in 4 very large sheets, about 3 feet x 4.5 feet. After applying the glue we had difficulty getting rid of the air bubbles as we pasted it onto the wall. Then we had to match the pieces together, very much like doing a giant jigsaw puzzle. After pasting 3 pieces and carefully matching the edges together, the 4th piece didn't fit well...and there were some heart-pounding moments when we thought that we had done it all wrong!

"I can't get the edges to match!" I told hubby as he held the wallpaper up while I tried to position it in place.

"Hurry up! My arms can't hold it up much longer!" hubby said, standing on the ladder.

"I'm trying! I'm trying! Just cut off the extra bits lor," I suggested, as the picture started to look a little tilted to the left.

In the end the 4th piece didn't match perfectly, but you couldn't tell if you looked at it from afar (which is how we intend for our guests to view it so that they don't notice the litle mistakes here and there!)

Now we have a street scene in our house and we joke about being careful not to get run over by cars that zoom by. Guess where we placed the wallpaper?



DSC01697

Answer: On the wall at the staircase landing

3 comments:

v a n i a said...

NEW YORK!!

Sunny-Cookie said...

Yup, CSI NY fans would recognise it XD

v a n i a said...

muahaha!! true enough!