Friday, October 16, 2009

Yummy Cake Frosting

Photobucket

I love to bake and I love cakes with icing/frosting. I have tried lots of different recipes for cake frosting but somehow have not found the perfect one. Some turned out too runny and seeped into the cake once it was applied. Others were either too rich or too sweet.

I finally found a great recipe for yummy Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting which is usually used for carrot cakes, but can be used for other cakes as well. It was scribbled on a piece of paper in one of my full-to-the-brim drawers where I stash away all kinds of stuff - receipts, newspaper cuttings, interesting recipes, my favourite very sharp scissors, stickers for little kids, coins, etc, etc...and I can't remember where I copied the recipe from.

I baked some carrot cupcakes and thought I would try out this recipe since I had some cream cheese in the fridge...better use it up before the expiry date! When I tasted it I was on cloud nine! It was REALLY good. I made a batch, iced the cupcakes, then made some more of the frosting...it was THAT good! It remains soft and spreadable even when kept in the fridge. I kept a tub of it in the fridge...perfect for times when I just want to indulge in a little extra topping for any plain slice of cake without having to put frosting on the entire cake itself. (enjoy first...will worry about the extra kilos later!)

Really simple to make:

30g softened butter/margarine
80g cream cheese
1 ½ cups icing sugar
1 tsp lemon juice

Sift icing sugar. Mix all the ingredients together until smooth.

No comments: