Friday, July 4, 2008

Moms On Wheels

A suburban mother's role is to deliver children obstetrically once, and by car for ever after. ~ Peter De Vries


car

My daughter used to go to school by van (driven by a lady with a daughter in the same school) because I didn’t want to get caught in the traffic chaos at her school every day. This year, however, I decided that I would brave the traffic instead, and ferry her to school and back. After all, the school is just a 5 minute’s drive away.

After a few weeks of going the same route to and from school, I have some interesting observations about driver moms….or ‘Moms-On-Wheels’ who are always transporting their children here and there.

1) Moms who forget they are driving a large vehicle – these MPV moms drive large family cars as though they are driving a ‘Perodua Kancil’ and it is a scary sight watching them try to maneuver between cars as they bulldoze their way through!

2) Moms who are ‘direction impaired’ – these are more fearsome than the MPV moms because they travel in the opposite direction on a one-way street and can cause traffic to come to a standstill just by a single turn of their steering wheel.

3) Moms who drive tiny cars as though riding a bike – these moms either drive in the middle of the road (where the white line is) or on the grassy road shoulder, to jump queue.

4) Moms in vans –these moms fetch other people’s kids for a fee. They usually wear a hat and long sleeves to avoid a tan because their trip to and from school takes longer. They also take up all the parking spots nearest to the school entrance and can be seen chatting loudly in groups.

5) Moms on two wheels (motorbikes and bicycles) – these moms have a great sense of balance. I have seen a mom on a teeny-weeny bicycle with one kid in front, one kid at the back and a heavy schoolbag in the front basket…quite an acrobat!

6) Moms who are fans of Mr. Bean - these moms get ideas from Mr. Bean on how to park their cars creatively…creating a parking space for their cars in places you think would be rather impossible.

7) Moms who drive safely – these moms are considerate and careful, and are extremely rare.

As for me, which category do I fall into? Let’s just say that when I drive, my children call my car ‘Crazy Taxi’ (named after the popular Playstation game)…that should give you a clue!

How I wish I had one of these:

from autopilotflight

No comments: