Friday, July 11, 2008

Recycling...doing our bit

One thing you can't recycle is wasted time - unknown

empty cans

With all the publicity about ‘going green’, I thought I would give recycling a try since it was the least I could do for the environment. I’m not much of a green thumb person, more of a ‘black thumb’ because even cactus shrivel and die under my care! Collecting household stuff that usually gets disposed of…now that shouldn’t be too difficult, right?

So at the moment I have 3 large garbage bags – one for plastics, one for metal and one for glass bottles. I probably need to buy 3 containers and place them in my kitchen permanently. I’m often amazed at how much plastic containers we use in a month…usually about 2 kg in weight. I found this recycling centre in Taman Cuepacs, Cheras…actually it’s just a little stall beside the road leading up to Cheras Awana. I find that they buy recyclable items at quite a good price, compared to Alam Flora (which has recycling centres at certain shopping complexes in KL and Selangor):

Plastic – RM 1.00 per kg
Paper - 35 sen per kg
Aluminium cans – 7 sen per can
Tin cans – 80 sen per kg

They also buy household appliances (even is it’s not in working condition) and all kinds of things we need to get rid of, except for things made of fabric, wood or glass. I send my glass bottles to the Alam Flora collection centre but they don’t pay a sen for it either.
old newspaper

Today I carted my 15 kg of old newspapers, a big bag of used plastic containers and some aluminium cans over to that place and got RM 7.90 for them. Well, it’s better than throwing them away. Even my children know that they mustn’t throw away the plastic containers after having their McD’s ice-cream or the aluminium cans after finishing their drinks. “My mom sells them,” they would tell our relatives and friends, making them feel guilty if they throw anything away!
cardboard rolls
My next mission…using my own cloth bags when I go shopping, instead of plastic bags…yup, we moms CAN make a difference for the sake of our children’s future.

1 comment:

杨 霓 said...

yes, we must save the world for our children. U want to make Garbage Enzyme ??