Saturday, July 12, 2008

School Craft

"I know how to do anything - I'm a Mom." ~Roseanne Barr

My daughter, Miss PreTeen, came home one day with a few pieces of wood and some nails in a plastic bag.

“It’s a class project and I need to assemble this, it’s supposed to be a letter holder,” she told me.

I looked at the rectangular pieces of wood in various lengths. It looked easy enough although there weren’t any instructions. I got my hammer from the toolbox and sat down on the floor, laying out all the pieces.

“Mom, are you sure you know how to do it?” Miss PreTeen asked, not confident of my carpentry skills.

“How about using super glue?” I asked. I didn’t have any confidence in nailing pieces of wood together either.

Daddy wasn't around to help so… BANG BANG BANG both mom and daughter hammered in the nails. When we finished it didn’t look too bad, except that perhaps the bottom piece was a bit off-center…oops!

“We need to paint it too,” Miss PreTeen said.

I took out a can of leftover blue wood paint from our store room and Miss PreTeen started painting the letter holder. The paint didn’t stick very well to the wood, so I suppose either the wood was of poor quality or the paint was past its expiry date. The paint didn’t dry properly even until the day before Miss PreTeen was to hand up the letter holder for the teacher to see.

This called for a bit of creativity, so I fished out a little container of silver glitter from our craft box and just lavishly sprinkled glitter all over the painted letter holder to remove some of the stickiness…and it worked (phew!)

This was the end result:

letter holder


Another craft project done recently - a dragonboat made out of egg shell carton and people made out of egg shells. We ate enough eggs to send our cholesterol level shooting up..!



dragon boat1





2 comments:

杨 霓 said...

I like the dragonboat,
Creative!! Keep it up.

Sunny-Cookie said...

Actually my husband helped to make the dragon boat, he's the more creative one!